October 15, 2011

American food

When I arrived at USA, the first thing I noticed was the differences between Brazilian and
American food. Actually, I realized that american food is spicy and does not have a lot of condiments because some people have allergies to some of them. If you go to the house of an american family, the food will have a better taste because they know which condiments they should use in order not to affect anyone of the family. But in restaurants the food is different, they avoid using them and, to make up for that, they use pepper and other spicy things, as jallapeƱos. After some weeks I really missed Brazilian food, as Feijoada, but then I really got used to american food. Once I went to Picadilly, a pretty nice and cheap restaurant at Georgia
Square Mall, I ordered spaghetti and meatballs and they were not spicy at all. Then I asked for pepper sauce immediately. I think I got addicted to it. =D
Another different habit in America is fast food. In Athens I have gone to many of them as Wendy's, Burger King, Italian Beef, Five Guys, papa Johns, Domino's, The Grill, KFC, Chick-fil-a and Subway and they are pretty cheap if you take their prices in Brazil. For example, a combo is about $5 without tips. In Brazil, we do not eat fast food that much (we
 are healthier) and it is much more expensive. In McDonalds, a combo costs R$ 15,00. It is not a happy meal at all! But a pretty good place that I have gone is Outback. I LOVE it not only because it has a very good food - I ordered well done ribs, smashed potatos, blooming onion and their delicious black bread - but also because it reminds me of home. I felt so homesick! And guess what? The manager said he didn't even know there were Outbacks in Brazil! It's crazy, isn't it?
But let's go ahead. One thing I HATE about American food: he didn't
even know there were Outbacks in Brazil! It's crazy, isn't it?
But let's go ahead. One thing I HATE about American food: Peanut butter and cinamon, which is not that much used in Brazil. OMG, once I saw a girl in the bus, early in the morning, eating banana with peanut butter and I almost shivered from head to toe! I Love donuts but, unfortunately, some of them have cinamon all over it. When I do not realize that before buying it, I do my best to eat them, but sometimes I really can't.
The last thing I noticed is that people eat frozen food a lot, specially if they are young. I know it is cheaper, easily preparable and you do not lose that much time in cooking, doing the dishes and so forth. But I think some of them are not healthy at all, even when they have "No Fat" or some information like that. On the other hand, fruits are more expensive in US. That is probably because they are imported from other countries. So, if you want to stay thin, healthier and pretty, you have to spend more money on food!

No comments:

Post a Comment