October 16, 2011

Carving Pumpkins: YAAAAY!!!

I bought my own pumpkin! 
Yesterday, October 16, some American friends invited the Brazilian students to carve pumpkins with them! When they new we had never done this before, hey got crazy and said we had to have this experience. Personally, I was pretty excited because I always saw that in movies and was curious about how I could do my own! Besides the fact that Halloween is not traditionally celebrated in Brazil, we do not have this kind of pumpkins, ours are much smaller. They just told us to get our own pumpking and one of them would come to pick up us at Polo Club, the condominium where we live.
We did not know how to pick a goog pumpkin for carving, so we asked for help in Kmart and one of the guys who work there told us how it should be: fresh. When we arrived at Sarah's house, we covered her living room with old newspapers because we did not want to make her wood floor dirty. So the
American guys gave us some sharp knives that were essential for cutting the pumpkin appropriately. They just told us to be careful because we could get hurt if we did not pay attention to what we were doing. My pumpkin was quite big and I realized it would demand a lot of work. First of all, I had to cut the hole above my pumpkin to clean it all inside. The one I chose was really heavy, so I thought it would have a loooot of things inside and I would fill a whole bucket. But no, it is heavy not because it is full of seeds and bud, but because it is thick. After cutting the edge of the pumpkin, the guys told me to take off everything that was inside the pumpkin with my hands. When I touched it I said aloud: IIIILLLL! hahahhaa.

The feeling reminds me of something gross, it has a wet and jelly texture and it does not come out easily. So, they gave me a spoon for me to use to my force to yank it all. It took a loooot of work and I was becoming tired and bored when the guys told me it didn't have to be 100% clean, that mine was 90% and it was enough. So I put my perfectionism aside and began drawing the face I would carve in my pumpkin.
Then one of the Brazilian girls said I am "a little devilish kid", so I decided to carve a devil. And this is my final pumpkin!!! What should we do now? Light them up, take them to the dark backyard and take pictures! Above you can see some pictures of all the pumpkins together and on the right one of my pumpkin alone. At first, everyone told mine could have become better because the eyes were too small. And I said; guys, wait until it is lighten up and you will see. And then they all get impressed and said mine was very beautiful in the dark! After taking many pictures of our pumpkins in the dark, our pumpkins replacing our heads and etc., we went indoors again to talk, eat pumpkin cookies, baked pumpkin seeds, popcorn, chips and lemonade and to watch the horror movie The Shine. It was hilarious the way everybody felt scared and how the girls screamed! hahaahahahahha I wish I had recorded it! One of the girls told us that they use to make many things with Pumpkings as coffee, brad, cookies and I was pretty impressed! Now, I finish this post hoping that Halloween brings much more scary and funny experiences! And now I have to look for a costume or to create one myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment